5 days in DC
July 17, 2006
I’m going to try writing in word when we haven’t a connection, as I don’t seem to get much time when we are connected.
Monday we arrived in DC and got to the hotel, went grocery shopping at the Watergate, (I’m still giggling about that) went swimming and generally veged.
Tuesday we took a tour bus out to Mt Vernon. Cindy had put it on her must see list and the weather towards the end of the week was dicey so we did it. My first information had us getting bus tickets near the Washington Monument but when we got there we discovered that now they are only available at Arlington Cemetery so off we went back to the Metro and two stops past home the other way but I have been giving us plenty of time for error so we got the tickets in good time taking 4 of the last 6 tickets!!
I probably ought to let Cynthia tell you about Mt Vernon since she was the one that really wanted to see it. It was a really hot humid day and Katt managed to get herself ill by not drinking enough so she sat on Washington’s porch and enjoyed the view just as many of his visitors must have done during his life.
Mt Vernon had 10 bedrooms of which we saw 7. Cindy was impressed by the beds …big and tall (canopies were required to hold the mosquito netting) and Martha had a real sense of style so the rooms are nicely decorated except for the master suite which is done entirely in white (original or because we don’t know). I think it’s probably because we don’t know as the other rooms were described in letters written by the people who stayed there but the Washington’s space was not public.
The original house was only 4 rooms and a loft but was expanded to 3 stories and 2 new wings. Washington was more frugal than some other planters in his use of faux decoration both inside and out. He still had trouble making ends meet.
It was interesting how first all the bodies were put in a vault and then Washington had a new tomb built but it took 30 years after he died to finish the new brick tomb. There was a gate so people could see the caskets but not take them. The gardens were very pretty too and even during the war Washington minutely directed his overseers on crops etc.
I didn’t want to cook and I didn’t really want to sit about either so after we returned from Mt Vernon and swam we walked over to Georgetown/K St. to find dinner and attend Pirates of the Caribbean. Vicky spotted Bangkok Joes (Thai fusion) and we had a really good dinner.
July 12 Wednesday
Today we have tickets to see the permanent exhibit at the Holocaust Museum. I’m a little anxious about it as I don’t want to rush anyone and I know the girls will vary in their interest.
Everyone was able to see the museum at her own pace. As usual Cindy and I stayed pretty close together, Victoria went faster and Katt slower. Vicky, Cindy and I went to lunch while Katt was finishing. It is a well-done museum and straight forward about the point of view…American. I doubt the horror of that time for the victims can be adequately described but there were some really evocative displays. It is the prosaic that is most intense for me; All the shoes, Walls of pictures, family photos taken before the war began during happy times. How quickly disaster can overtake a peaceful land. Realizing the unscrupulous can use freedom to enslave us. It’s a frightening idea; people will chose the appearance of security over freedom to fail. But only if there is a freedom to fail is there the possibility of great success.
As a mother I am always rather torn between my own experience and that of my children. I feel that this time we are keeping a good balance.
Thursday we completely veged. We got up really late…of course we went to bed really late too, swam, read, etc. and we went out for dinner to Bangkok Joes again.
Friday Katt wanted to see Luray Caverns, about 2 hours out of DC so I rented a car and we drove out there. The traffic wasn’t bad and we had a good time. These caves are privately owned and have always been open to the public so they are well lighted and
Lloyd and I saw in Oregon earlier this year. At one time people were encouraged to take pieces home!
The way home was a bit exciting when I, the driver, became really tired. We stopped in Virginia for dinner and shopping in Target for some more school clothes. Katt and Victoria got back jeans, Cindy found pants too and I found a couple tops I liked. Other stuff was also found. Fortunately we were sending a good-sized box back home so there is room in the suitcase.
The GPS sent us on a curious way back into the city …scenic I suppose but 66 would have been faster. The roads in DC area have the colonial problem…many intersections have more than two roads coming together. Go left can mean most anything. I generally guess wrong as to the degree of left I’m supposed to take. It really is all about the process I keep telling myself. And most of the time I believe me too!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home