Sunday, July 16, 2006

July 16, Laurel

We had a delightful time in Laurel over the weekend. I should have planned to spend a few more days there. The plan to use a car and driver to see the monuments, store our luggage and get out to Laurel worked perfectly. I would have preferred a more loquacious driver but he was nice in an English butler kind of way…very proper. I think we may have scandalized him a bit or perhaps he just didn’t know what to make of us. I suppose he doesn’t get woman and teens sight seeing very often…to expensive.

Saturday we toured the monuments I wanted to see again or Cindy wanted to see. They are difficult to get to so I was glad we had a driver. Construction around them or closed streets balked us regularly. We saw the Jefferson Memorial, Arlington Cemetery although could not find Iwo Jima unfortunately. Still in a way similar to the Holocaust Museum the ranks of graves is a sobering reminder of the cost of freedom and I think an important experience. It was also very peaceful and cooler than the city. Then we saw the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial also a stark reminder of the cost. The girls seemed especially affected by the information that I had known one of these people, the father of my best friend in 1st-3rd grade. Victoria made a rubbing of the name and we took pictures too. There is another friend's father there too but I couldn’t remember the last name.

We also saw the White House in the distance, many good views of the Washington Monument and our last stop the Washington Cathedral, which I have always wanted to see. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to stay or go inside. Another time. Then it was off to see the Monroe’s.

Cindy and Kathleen immediately disappeared to play and were not seen again. Kim and I also fell into conversation and talked till late at night. The girls watched the older, 5-hour version of Pride and Prejudice. I also did laundry.

Sunday we went to church of course. Unfortunately many of the people we know have left the church for other congregations. We did see Dave and Jenn and their children, cute kids. They are working on a PCA church plant in Columbia for now. After church the girls and I borrowed a car and went out to the Union Cemetery in Burtonsville to visit Steven's grave.

Then we had lunch and the Carrier’s came including Amanda. Again it was like no time had passed and they all look good. Carol renewed her interest in riding with me for our 50th BD.

That evening we finally went to a pool with a diving board as Susan Bryan had invited us over; another really nice time catching up and talking of this and that.

Funny happening: Only Andrew of the Bryan’s boys was home and Susan is small. He decided she needed to get in the pool with the rest of us so he picked her up and walked in with her. She was laughing and protesting the entire way and not dressed for the pool but it was funny…makes me glad I’m big. We talked about 2 hours standing/floating in the pool.

Arriving back at the Monroe’s we BBQed burgers and dogs and watched 'Charade' with Audrey Hepburn and Carry Grant (I recommend it). We also packed. And all got to bed by 12.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home