Friday, July 07, 2006

Pennsylvania

With Lloyd I was none to interested in spending time blogging but Lancaster is down time so I can get caught up.

The pace of this trip has the effect of giving us just enough time to pick up an impression of the city we're in. We are comparers by nature: how is it the same how; are they different? If I've been there before how has it changed; what's the same? The trip reveals as much about us through our responce as it does about anything we see. And we have seen so much in the last 3 weeks. It must have been longer...it seems like forever that we have been traveling.

New York dwarfs any other city. From now on any other city even those like LA that may be geographically bigger will seem small or perhaps immature is a better word. Philadelphia is tiny. Its center totally walkable. It's cultural centers smaller. After NY besides seeming small the thing I noticed about Philadelphia was its openess. The buildings are shorter and this makes the streets appear wider, and the city more open. The parks are dispersed through out the city and it seems like all of them have fountians with children playing in them. Philadelphia is a lived in city. The big shopping streets have the same stores we find in our local malls and centers: Kmart, CVS and Walgreens, Ross, Sears etc.

Did I enjoy Philadelphia? Yes but I don't know that I would return. The Independance Mall was interesting, the Liberty Bell (did you know it was just the PA State House Bell until the abolutionists rechristened it and made it their symbol). Like wise Independence Hall was called that by Lafeyette on a visit he made before it was just the Pa State House. Like many other places Philadelphia had a moment of fame.

For me one thing made Philadelphia the only place to be last week. LLoyd met us there! It was delightful to be together. He soothes my spirit and the girls too.

Our arrival Saturday was ammusing in the extreem. He got our departure and arrival times mixed up so he thought we wouldbe arriving well after noon and since he slept poorly Friday night he slept in Saturday...I woke him when I called to arrange our meeting at the station. The girls and I took a taxi and it was so fast he was barely dressed when we got there! (it's about 15 blocks )

We had lunch and then went exploring at the Franklin Institute. They have changed very little in the last 30 years. I recognized most of the exhibits but it was still fun for Cindy, Lloyd and I and I think Katt and Victoria may have had a good time too.

Sunday, reconnecting with our old Pastor, Bob Myers and his family was a delight especially for the girls again. An opportunity to play...if only we hadn't had to get up so early. We finally got back at 10pm.

With that in mind Monday was probably a mistake as I scheduled it with exploring historic Philadelphia which we should have done Wednesday but with the timed tickets for Independance Hall bought and the lines longer the latter you go in the day we went. The girls were nonplussed.

Tuesday, the 4th we didn't repeat that mistake and allowed everyone to sleep in, Lloyd and I included. It was delightful!! After lunch we strolled down the parkway to see what was happening...other than food vendors nothing!!!! We walked past the art museum (closed) and explored the water works site which is being restored. Reminded me of the Savage Mill a little. Then just as we began to walk back up the Parkway they announced the whole thing was closing as nasty weather was on the way. It never really arrived as far as I could tell. We had hoped we would be able to see the fireworks from our hotel but unfortunately there were buildings in the way and we were unclear about whether they were going to have it given the weather so we missed that, and the pops concert too.

WEDNESDAY Lloyd and I let the kids sleep and snuck off for a museum date. THe largest Rodin collection outside of France is in Philadelphia and the Art Museum had a special exhibit of A Wyeth's paintings. Lloyd wanted to see the first and I wanted to see the second so we walked back up the parkway (in the rain sort of) and did adult sightseeing. That afternoon we went down to 2nd street where there are more boutique shops. Lloyd discovered a vintage clothing shop (60's through the 80's) with some of the proprietors designs thrown in where we passed most of the afternoon. Everyone got something and a good time was had. We shipped most of it back to Foster City.

Thursday our train left at 1:45 so we packed that morning after breakfast. Cindy enjoys her breakfasts with Dad and sometimes I join them. She is very gracious about sharing him. She also enjoys swimming and did it as much as she could in Philadelphia.

It was difficult to say goodbye to Lloyd. He waited with us at the station. Have I said I like trains? And I knew he would like this stop better than Philadelphia. As it turned out we should have rented a car at the train station and driven to Lancaster. The train was late, The Parksburg station is a siding only and the Enterprise people didn't know where the "station" was so we waited for them. Also the timing is such that Monday we return the car at a very early hour. Live and Learn.

The "resort" is very relaxed. Alot like Sandy Cove although without the programs or the speakers. THe food is good, the rooms small but with plenty of public sitting space and pools that is ok. The views bucolic.

Enough for now
Dana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home