Wednesday, July 12, 2006

We're on our third day in DC. And we might be having a good time. The pool is deeper but small, maybe 30 feet on a side none the less it is pretty cool to swim 11 floors above the city and it has Cynthia's approval since she can do flips in it.

This hotel also wins because it is a true suite with a kitchen, living room and bedroom. We have gone grocery shopping twice. I'm amused because we do our shopping down the street at the Watergate Safeway. It's funny because these basic shops...bakery, cleaner and a couple restaurants are sharing space with really high end fashion designers.

We are also conviently located just 4 blocks from the Foggybottom/GWU Metro (we know it well now) and the girls highly approve of DC's clean airconditioned subway system. NY wasn't hard to use but it did stink and while we didn't use Philly's I know it stinks too.

Speaking of metro on our way back today we stumbled on a mini farmers market as we walked through George Washington University. Katt and Vicky bought us fruit while Cindy and I went to get other groceries before the rain arrived.

Tonight we will stay in and have sloppy joes, carrots and cookies. Monday we had spaghetti. I especially appreciate not having to figure out breakfast.

You might wonder at my focus on minutia. It actually has a reason. A vacation often is fully focused on seeing everything that can be seen and as I thought this one through it came to me that we would be fully miserable if we cramed our lives with sights for 5 weeks so I am trying to focus more on the process of what ever we may be doing rather than the future. I am trying to give each minute its due and each person their space. There are places in each city that I have given higher priority or someone has asked to see but there is a lot of unplanned time too.

Tuesday we took advantage of the clear weather and went out to Mount Vernon by tour bus. It was not actually that hot but the humidity is high and there was no breeze. Katt was unable to see the house as she felt very faint. Cindy had asked to go there and I think it expanded her understanding of colonial life. All the girls were amazed by the smallness of the house and the idea of having hundreds of visitors every year (500 even!). It's no wonder that the Washingtons had a master suite we would not find uncomfortable today.

Tuesday evening we walked to Georgetown for dinner and to see Pirates. The girls were a little taken aback by the walk but I judged it safe for a group although I probably would have thought twice as a single. We had to navigate a confusing tangle of roads some with construction to get over to K street. When we got there Vicky saw Bankok Joe's and decided we should eat there. She was right! It was Thai fusion and very good food. Then we walked on to see the movie. A pleasant evening. Unfortunately it doesn't really cool down even at night.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Traveler said...

Thank you Mandy.... Was this up early or late?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home